Journal: February 2000
02/20/00, In the past couple of weeks I've finished
off the pedal box by installing an AC pedal on the stock mustang gas pedal
arm. It may not be "original", but it looks pretty good to me.
While I was waiting for the rivet gun to arrive from Harbor Freight I
installed the front brake calipers along with new disks, bearings and
pads. The rivet gun finally arrived so I got a chance to play with it
this weekend. If you are building a Factory Five kit, BUY THIS RIVET
GUN. I really thought that this would be a good place to save a couple
of bucks, but it makes riveting so much easier and faster that it is well
worth the price. After I got the floor panels installed I took a break
from drilling and riveting and worked some more on stripping the original
coating off of the dreaded wheels. My experiment with soaking them in
lacquer thinner was working great until the thinner dissolved the stuff
used to keep the wash tub from leaking. So now I've got two wheels that
still need stripped , a nice round stain on my deck and a patch of dirt
under the deck that wont grow grass for 200 years. When that failed, I
found a guy that refinishes furniture and had him dip them in his stripping
tank. The stuff he used changed the color of the clear coat to a nice
bronze, but didn't touch it. So at this point I've exchanged my leaking
wash tub, bought some more lacquer thinner and I'm trying the dunking
routine again. This time I'm taking them out before the tub starts leaking.
I hate these wheels!.
Sunday 02/27/00, Well, the wheels are finally
done! I ended up dunking them to soften up the clearcoat and then using
ScotchBrite pads and steel wool to remove it. What a pain in the butt.
I the spent the better part of Friday painting the recessed areas dark
grey. They turned out pretty nice, but in hind sight it would have been
much easier and probably not much more expensive to buy a nice set of
used turbines. Consequently, the day I finished them I got an E-mail from
David Riley that suggested having them blasted with baking soda. He has
had a couple of sets done this way and said it works great. I just wish
the sandblasters I talked to would have mentioned this! Thanks for the
tip David. I'll chalk this up as another learning experience.