Journal: January 2000
Monday 01/03/00, Hey,
we made it through the dreaded Y2K computer bug with nary a scratch. I was really glad we didn't loose
power or have any computer glitches since I'd have been eating a large
helping of crow. My first New-year resolution is to never utter the term
Y2K again. Second is to drive this Cobra by the end of summer.
Sunday 01/09/00, Not
a lot to report this week, but I got enough done to call it progress.
I finished preparing the rear-end assembly. This included mounting the
control arms to the rear end and cutting the rear springs. I ended up
cutting 3/4 of a coil off the springs. The manual recommends cutting a
full coil, but the folks on the Cobra forum recommend anywhere from none
to 2/3 of a coil. I split the difference and made it 3/4. Bottom line
is, if you cut too much off, you may not be able to adjust the car high
enough in the rear.
Tuesday 01/18/00, The flu and a power outage at work on the weekend combined to keep my garage time to zip this week. I got the gas tank installed, but that's it. The tank installation is a breeze. Four bolts and it's in. I'll get some pictures posted shortly that show the modification I made to the tank. The top rear corner on the passenger side was cut out and inverted to provide additional clearance for the quickjack bolts. I had to open the tank up to have a loose baffle brazed, so it made sense to have this modification made when the piece was welded back in. I also pressure tested and painted the tank prior to installation.
Monday 01/31/00, Since my last post, I've been
busy setting up the pedal box and installing the AC pedals I got from
Finish Line. The pedal spacing in these things is very tight so I bent
the clutch and brake pedals slightly to separate them as much as possible
from the gas. I also played around with the pedal location on the arm
to get them just right. Hopefully this will still be close when I get
my seats installed! Installing the pedals was pretty simple. I cut the
old ones off using an abrasive wheel on the grinder. I also used the abrasive
wheel to "mill" a groove the width of the pedal arm in to the tab on the
rear of the pedals. Drilled a hole through the whole mess, stuck in bolt
and it was done. Looks so nice I ordered one for the gas pedal to finish
it off. It's a real good idea to install
a bolt in the pedal box to prevent the rod from pulling out of the
mastercylinder during hard acceleration. (I hear
this is not necessary on newer kits since they now install a frame tube
in this area). I also installed a small spring to keep the pedal
pulled up tight against the master cylinder. Some others have had the
unenviable experience of loosing their brakes when this happened. I'd
rather not go there.