Sunday 08/20/00, It's
been over a month since my last update, but this is a pretty big one.
I got the engine installed Saturday with the help of Mike Schott and my
son Cody. It really looks awesome! I can hardly wait to get it running,
but there is still a lot to do before that happens.
In the previous weeks, I took some time off and had a great vacation with
the family. When we got back, I started looking for an engine hoist to
rent, but the places I called either no longer rented them or they required
a trailer hitch to tow it home. I finally bought one for $200 from Advanced
Automotive. I figure I can sell it later after I have a warm fuzzy feeling
about the engine. Or I may just keep it for my next project. (Can you
say Porsche 550 Spyder replica)
Sunday 08/27/00, Just a quick updated before I pack it in for the night. This week I installed the drive shaft, remote oil filter lines, throttle cable, clutch cable and vapor canister. I forgot to remove the vapor canister bracket from the Mustang so I couldn't mount it to the frame as shown in the manual. Instead, I mounted it to the front of the passenger side footbox. This required cutting a slot in the footbox to accept the tab on the back of the canister. A single screw through the top mounting tab holds it in place. I ran a few beads of silicon sealer around the back to seal the slot and keep it from vibrating. I think it looks a lot cleaner than hanging it from the frame.
Everything else bolted in place without a hitch, but I had to make an aluminum spacer to move the clutch cable bracket out of the way of the oil lines. While I was at it I reinstalled the oil filter relocator with some extra silicon sealer and I painted and reinstalled the oil pressure sending unit.
I spend a few hours Sunday adjusting and flaring the fuel lines so they can be mated with the lines on the engine. When I installed them a few months ago I made my best guess as to where the lines on the engine would be. Of course I was wrong, so I had to bend the lines again and then flare them to keep the hoses from popping off. I should have flared them a few months ago when I had flaring down. I had to learn how to make a double flare all over again today. They aren't to pretty but should be functional enough to keep the fuel hoses from coming off. Since I doubled up the clamps on the gas tank side of the fuel lines, I don't have enough to do the engine side. I've checked four stores so far but I can't find any of the high pressure band type hose clamps that come with the kit. The fuel system will be done when I find them.
I'm planning on installing the exhaust system next, followed by the radiator and wiring. I'm going to try and get this thing running and take a drive in the go-cart by September 9th. That's the one year anniversary of getting the kit. It's been a great year!